Off Topic: Water.org

I received a notice in the mail today from the housing authority that owns the apartment we live in saying that starting this evening at 7:00 PM our street and surrounding streets would be without water until further notice while a water line is being repaired.

Naturally I started moaning and groaning about how I wouldn't be able to take a shower or give the boys their bedtime bath and then I remembered something I seen a while back on Deviant Art. I had just logged in and was checking my messages when I noticed an invitation to a donation pool on water.org. The person that sent the invitation had set up a donation pool with a cap of $5,000.00 and was asking people to donate whatever they could afford whether it be mere pennies or thousands of dollars. At the time I wasn't able to donate but now that I'm able I plan to do so and by posting this I'm hoping to spread the word.

About Water.org:
Co-founded by Matt Damon and Gary White, Water.org is a nonprofit organization that has transformed hundreds of communities in Africa, South Asia, and Central America by providing access to safe water and sanitation.

The Crisis:
  • Every 20 seconds a child dies from a water related illness.
  • 3.575 million people die each year from a water related disease. That is equal to the entire population of Los Angeles, California.
  • Combined, women spend 200 million hours a day collecting water.
  • 884 million people lack access to clean water. That's almost 3x more people than the entire population of the United States.
  • The majority of water related illness is caused by fecal matter in the water supply.
  • More people have a mobile than a toilet.

The Solution:

Water.org works to solve the crisis of unsanitary water by building wells which provides access to safe water and by providing proper sanitation for the people of the communities effected most. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Trendy Mom © 2012 Amber Riley